Sunday 13 March 2011

Knackered

I am totally knackered.  I did my normal riding to work in the week, apart from Thursday when it was blowing a gale.

Then I got an email from Nic asking if anyone was out at the weekend.  Ian responded saying he and Simon were planning a big ride Saturday morning.  I tentatively said I was in.

The guys arrived at mine at 8:40 Saturday morning.  We hung about a bit for Nic, who was coming by train from Manchester, then riding from Preston.  We eventually set off at 9 ish, heading to Longridge at quite a pace.  By Broughton, 8 miles in, I was suffering.  Then the climbing started  Out of Longridge up Jeffrey Hill to Bridy Brow and the fast drop down the other side.  It was a bit too gravelly to go fast though.  Then on to Waddington and up over Waddington fell.  I suffered some more before the 45 mph drop down the other side.  Again we couldn’t go too fast due to gravel and cattle grids.

By this time, 35 miles in, I was really struggling and the small hills into Dunsop Bridge were hard work.  Then we were faced with the 1:4 climb over Boundary Hill.  I managed to keep going, but it was very hard.  We stopped in Scorton for a cup of tea and a teacake, but were greeted with a heavy rain shower upon leaving.

Then it was a long slog into the wind back home.  Just over 65 miles and three of the hardest hills in the area.  I could barely walk.  Nic came back to mine, got his bags then rode into Lytham to drop Ian’s Brooks spanner off and rode back to Preston, I would guess about 110 miles for him!

This morning we were rudely awakened by the phone at 9 o’clock, Alison asking if we were coming to Beacon Fell, they would be with us in half an hour.  So we stuffed breakfast down and headed out.  We were OK on the flat but as soon as the road started to rise at Broughton we were suffering.  A puncture just before Inglewhite was a bit of a relief and gave us a breather.  Then there was the 1:4 climb up to the Fell.  We rode it but were knackered at the top.  Bacon and egg buttie and a hot chocolate gave us just enough energy to stagger home.  Coming off Beacon Fell there is a very steep road and I could feel the rear wheel of the tandem locking up, something almost unheard of.

All in all a very good but very tiring week.  Both Jayne and I have done some running as well.

Miles for the week – 156

Year to date – 825

Still 325 short of where I should be though.

Cheers

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment