Sunday 31 July 2011

Ouch!

My mileage target will slip for the next few weeks.  I think I may have broken my elbow!

Me and Simon plus Ian, Ian’s nephew over from California, Daniel and Ian’s future son in law, Ross went up to Grizedale yesterday.  It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm and perfect mountain biking conditions.  We decided to do the Fox, Greythwaite etc. to get away from the busy areas.  The first few descents went really well.  The tricky bit through the wall had filled in a bit and was rideable. Dan struggled a bit, using SPD’s for the first time.  The drop down to Satterthwaite was fantastic twisty singletrack through the bracken and grass and occasional bramble.

Ross and Dan were knackered, so we decided to head for the visitor centre and maybe do a bit of the North Face back to the car. 

On a not very tricky but quick section, I tried to duck round another bramble across the trail.  I dropped my front wheel off the path, pinging myself over the handlebars and slamming into the ground on my right knee and left wrist.  It jarred me up my fore arm and I felt my elbow go funny.  When I tried to straighten it, it wouldn’t move, then suddenly crunched  into place.  I could bend it but occasionally it would lock out, as if the tendons were in the wrong place, before returning to normal.  We carried on back to a fire road where we decided to call it quits and head home.

Simon’s wife and family were nearby with their caravan, so we headed there.  The cut to my knee was far deeper than it first looked.  Simo9n, and experienced first aider, cleaned me up and steri stripped the cuts. 

I was OK to drive home, but ached and only had limited movement in my arm when I got home.  Jayne said I had to go to A&E to get it checked out, so off we went.  4 hours later the doctor told me that the x-rays were inconclusive but showed “some degree of fracture”!  The treatment is the same regardless, arm in a sling, rest and ibuprofen.  So I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself.  Today the elbow has swelled up quite a bit and is quite achy. My knee is much better, the cuts are still a bit weepy but seem clean and healthy and knitting together.  Be a week or two before I’m back on the bike. Crying face

july 2011 hurt 001

july 2011 hurt 002

Miles for the week – 133

Running total – 3304

Shortfall – 146

Cheers

Tim

3 comments:

  1. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't really buy that, since how do you get stronger with your arm in a sling. Sorry to read about your mishap, get well quickly.
    Boz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot one thing - ales, lagers, and the like help the healing process. That's from personal experience. Been to the e.r. a few times myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to get your PS. I am currently self-meditating with Scott's 1861, Peroni Grand Cru, some red wine and some Duval and Chimay to follow!

    May need liver surgery rather than arm surgery!!

    ReplyDelete