Monday 19 September 2011

Well on the Way

I’m definitely getting better.  Went to the fracture clinic last week and, although he said 4-5 more weeks before I’m back to normal, I can resume all activities.  Think I’ll lay off the MTB for a bit though.

Got some decent miles in at last.  The week before last was very windy and wet but I managed to ride most days and we did a couple of rides at the weekend.  We hit the best weather window on the Sunday, riding mostly in sunshine and a strong breeze.  By mid afternoon the wind had picked up and the rain started.

Monday was supposed to be the Tour of Britain stage into Blackpool.  I decided, despite the strong wind, to ride out to Oakenclough for the King of the Mountain spots.  I was blown out at an easy 20mph on the back of what turned out to be 40-50mph winds.  Getting to the first KoM point in plenty of time, I watched the marshals set up for a minute then decide to ride on to the Harris End KoM point about 4 miles up the road.  By the time I got there these marshals were busy tearing down the KoM signs and said the stage had been cancelled!  I carried on over the fell and chatted to some other spectators.  Those with suitable technology had been checking the blogs and twitters and yes, the stage was cancelled.  I rode back into the fiercest wind I can remember for a long time.  I think they made the right choice, it was hard to keep straight and riding in a bunch would have been a nightmare.  It took me twice as long to get home as it did to get out.

The rest of the week was the normal commute to work.  I did a brief spin on Thursday but the core team are still out in Verbier.  We struck lucky again with the weather on Sunday and rode out to Scorton in the best sunshine all week. 

All in all two good weeks

124 miles and 157 miles

Year to date – 4255

Shortfall – 488

Cheers

Tim

1 comment:

  1. Too bad about the stage cancellation, but these guys have to be safe. There's only so many to pros to go around.I remember racing in very high winds and rain back in the day. I crashed 3 times before abandoning that mess. The race was called but not before a few collar bones and lots of skin loss! Glad you're healing well.

    ReplyDelete