Saturday 31 March 2012

Dad

My eulogy for my Dad

“I’d like to take a few moments to talk, well really, about me.

A while back I was on the phone to (my big sister) Sara and she said “You sound just like Dad”

Then last Christmas I hadn’t shaved for a few days and she said I looked like Dad

And I know Sue (my sister in law) has said “Just like your father” to Paul (my brother) loads of times

And I’m sure Sara, Claire (my middle sister) and Jane have heard it at least once each

But more than looking and sounding a bit like Dad, we, all of his children, behave a bit like him

I don’t mean coming into the room, changing the TV channel then walking out again, or the one word emails

I mean the way we treat each other.  I can see Dad’s influences in the way we lead our lives, in the choices we make

I hope we can continue to be a bit like Dad, with his love of his family, his humour and his integrity

And if I can strive to be like him as a father, a husband, a brother and a friend, then I could do a lot worse, and that would be no bad thing”

It seemed to go down OK. Was hard to do though.  Still overcome by emotions almost by the minute.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment